Workshop Template

Workshop Session #1

Workshop #1: Lux

Global Issue: Climate Change

 

American School of Recife

Learning Center 1

Essential Question:

Is it worth spending your time and money investing in solar energy?

Impact Statement:

We have successfully demonstrated that we can easily save energy in our school, by using solar power as an alternative source of energy. At first, on September 2016, we installed a solar panel capable of charging 10 cellphones at a time. Financial help from many companies devoted to face the environmental problems with a way to replace the burning of fossil fuels. Thankfully we could influence not only our friends, but the whole community around us to spend time and effort investing in renewable energy.

After our first prototype, we started the hunt for a more prominent goal. We first met a company specialized in buying and selling renewable energy. We did lots of research looking for the best type of renewable energy we could implement in our daily life; photovoltaic panels were the answer. We had an idea to start a small school sponsored project, but the school told us to think globally and do a plan to make our school 100% powered by solar energy. The project is dividing the goal into some steps, 10% of our school sponsored by our school and some companies and the other 90% would come shortly.

We believe that in order to have a sustainable project we must fulfill the three pillars of sustainability; the social pillar, the economic pillar, and the environmental pillar. LUX fits in these pillars not only because solar energy employs more than coal, or because it emits way less CO2 than other energy sources, nor because it is getting cheap, but also because LUX inspires. Inspires others to change. It proves to everyone that it doesn’t matter who you are, or if everyone is against you. What matters is how hard you try to make the change, what matters is your persistence! No matter how small you are, how powerless you feel, everything is achievable, everything doable, anything is attainable! That is what LUX inspires. LUX does not only inspires others, but it also inspires us. It inspires us to continually grow and invest our time, resources and knowledge on the project. We have received some significant donations from business partners that aim for a better future. Next year, we plan to take it to the next level by making our school 100% reliable on solar energy and installing a 10mw/h solar plant in pernambuco´s semi-arid region. That is what LUX inspires us to.

After our first prototype, we started the hunt for a more prominent goal. We first met a company specialized in buying and selling renewable energy. We did lots of research looking for the best type of renewable energy we could implement in our daily life; photovoltaic panels were the answer. We had an idea to start a small school sponsored project, but the school told us to think globally and do a plan to make our school 100% powered by solar energy. The project is dividing the goal into some steps, 10% of our school sponsored by our school and some companies and the other 90% would come shortly. Learning goal: Save the environment. Without changing our daily habits and profiting in the process. Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1x3NuFyWnRbxnaXrAoCo5LqcRJe1aOWIJFBzLOGgRv68/edit?usp=sharing

Workshop #1: Lux

Global Issue: Climate Change

 

American School of Recife

Learning Center 1

Essential Question:

Is it worth spending your time and money investing in solar energy?

Impact Statement:

We have successfully demonstrated that we can easily save energy in our school, by using solar power as an alternative source of energy. At first, on September 2016, we installed a solar panel capable of charging 10 cellphones at a time. Financial help from many companies devoted to face the environmental problems with a way to replace the burning of fossil fuels. Thankfully we could influence not only our friends, but the whole community around us to spend time and effort investing in renewable energy.

After our first prototype, we started the hunt for a more prominent goal. We first met a company specialized in buying and selling renewable energy. We did lots of research looking for the best type of renewable energy we could implement in our daily life; photovoltaic panels were the answer. We had an idea to start a small school sponsored project, but the school told us to think globally and do a plan to make our school 100% powered by solar energy. The project is dividing the goal into some steps, 10% of our school sponsored by our school and some companies and the other 90% would come shortly.

We believe that in order to have a sustainable project we must fulfill the three pillars of sustainability; the social pillar, the economic pillar, and the environmental pillar. LUX fits in these pillars not only because solar energy employs more than coal, or because it emits way less CO2 than other energy sources, nor because it is getting cheap, but also because LUX inspires. Inspires others to change. It proves to everyone that it doesn’t matter who you are, or if everyone is against you. What matters is how hard you try to make the change, what matters is your persistence! No matter how small you are, how powerless you feel, everything is achievable, everything doable, anything is attainable! That is what LUX inspires. LUX does not only inspires others, but it also inspires us. It inspires us to continually grow and invest our time, resources and knowledge on the project. We have received some significant donations from business partners that aim for a better future. Next year, we plan to take it to the next level by making our school 100% reliable on solar energy and installing a 10mw/h solar plant in pernambuco´s semi-arid region. That is what LUX inspires us to.

After our first prototype, we started the hunt for a more prominent goal. We first met a company specialized in buying and selling renewable energy. We did lots of research looking for the best type of renewable energy we could implement in our daily life; photovoltaic panels were the answer. We had an idea to start a small school sponsored project, but the school told us to think globally and do a plan to make our school 100% powered by solar energy. The project is dividing the goal into some steps, 10% of our school sponsored by our school and some companies and the other 90% would come shortly. Learning goal: Save the environment. Without changing our daily habits and profiting in the process. Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1x3NuFyWnRbxnaXrAoCo5LqcRJe1aOWIJFBzLOGgRv68/edit?usp=sharing

Workshop #1: Lux

Global Issue: Climate Change

 

American School of Recife

Learning Center 1

Essential Question:

Is it worth spending your time and money investing in solar energy?

Impact Statement:

We have successfully demonstrated that we can easily save energy in our school, by using solar power as an alternative source of energy. At first, on September 2016, we installed a solar panel capable of charging 10 cellphones at a time. Financial help from many companies devoted to face the environmental problems with a way to replace the burning of fossil fuels. Thankfully we could influence not only our friends, but the whole community around us to spend time and effort investing in renewable energy.

After our first prototype, we started the hunt for a more prominent goal. We first met a company specialized in buying and selling renewable energy. We did lots of research looking for the best type of renewable energy we could implement in our daily life; photovoltaic panels were the answer. We had an idea to start a small school sponsored project, but the school told us to think globally and do a plan to make our school 100% powered by solar energy. The project is dividing the goal into some steps, 10% of our school sponsored by our school and some companies and the other 90% would come shortly.

We believe that in order to have a sustainable project we must fulfill the three pillars of sustainability; the social pillar, the economic pillar, and the environmental pillar. LUX fits in these pillars not only because solar energy employs more than coal, or because it emits way less CO2 than other energy sources, nor because it is getting cheap, but also because LUX inspires. Inspires others to change. It proves to everyone that it doesn’t matter who you are, or if everyone is against you. What matters is how hard you try to make the change, what matters is your persistence! No matter how small you are, how powerless you feel, everything is achievable, everything doable, anything is attainable! That is what LUX inspires. LUX does not only inspires others, but it also inspires us. It inspires us to continually grow and invest our time, resources and knowledge on the project. We have received some significant donations from business partners that aim for a better future. Next year, we plan to take it to the next level by making our school 100% reliable on solar energy and installing a 10mw/h solar plant in pernambuco´s semi-arid region. That is what LUX inspires us to.

After our first prototype, we started the hunt for a more prominent goal. We first met a company specialized in buying and selling renewable energy. We did lots of research looking for the best type of renewable energy we could implement in our daily life; photovoltaic panels were the answer. We had an idea to start a small school sponsored project, but the school told us to think globally and do a plan to make our school 100% powered by solar energy. The project is dividing the goal into some steps, 10% of our school sponsored by our school and some companies and the other 90% would come shortly. Learning goal: Save the environment. Without changing our daily habits and profiting in the process. Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1x3NuFyWnRbxnaXrAoCo5LqcRJe1aOWIJFBzLOGgRv68/edit?usp=sharing