At Global Issues Network Conferences around the world, one meal at each conference is a vegetarian meal to demonstrate solidarity with those who for cultural or religious reasons are vegetarian. It is also a way to recognize and consider the environmental impact of meat production, particularly in factory farms. Another reason for our meal is for solidarity with the world’s poor. In keeping with this tradition, the conferences’ only meal will be a vegetarian meal.
The menu is:
- Spiced Potato Bites
- Kheema-Palak (Tofu with Spinach)
- Naan (bread)
- Mattar Pilau ( Rice dish)
- Carka Dhal (Spiced Lentils)
- Cholay (Curried Chickpeas)
- Apple Mango Chutney
- Milk & Water
As with the whole day, one of our goals is to eliminate as much trash waste as possible. All of the food, plates, cups, and utensils will be composted in Casella’s Middlebury compost facility, further reducing our waste that day. The extra food will be brought to the Open Door Mission in Rutland, so that it will be completely used.
We would like to thank:
- Marty Irion and Sodexho for working with us to develop our menu and getting the compostable plates, cups, and utensils.
- Casella Waste Management for enabling us to compost as much as possible, keeping it out of the landfills.
- The RHS Environmental Club who will be facilitating composting and waste disposal.